Thursday, May 19, 2005

Up to date---

Okey ... I will try to keep y'all kind of up to date in this post..


I am now in third semester nursing school.. yayyaya .. thank god only 7 more months.. woot woot... love my clinical instructor... but we have about 6 instructors last now as opposed to the two we had last semester.. have no idea why we have so many.. anyhoooow


Gave my presentation to the second semester on hyperthyroidism.. was fun ... nothing to report much there.. although I was looking around the room and wondering which ones werent going to pass that semester.. lOL>.. It seems .. 2nd semester is really the weeder class. Weeds people out.


So I went to my first full weekend at clinical last weekend. First weekend we are at the hospital .. so I wasnt nervous.. the clinical instructor is great.. and we really arent doing much more than we were before. Anyhooow .. I got the bitch from hell nurse to follow..Shannon.. are you listening? Have you had one of these before??

Well, I will give you the scenario and you decide..


I was assigned a nurse.. her name was Lori.. so I didnt know who she was.. I asked someone.. they pointed her out..

So I walked over.. I said.. 'Lori?" .. I heard a mumble..

I introduced myself and said I would be following her today. (It's called shadowing, we watch what they do and how they spend their time taking care of all their patients)

So she didnt

say

a

thing


Ignored me.


So I walked away .. and went to this other student.. he was like.. do you think she didnt hear you? I said.. I dont know...

So i waited.. when she got up later, I followed her to the medication cart.. she was talking to this other nurse.. and then Lori starts talking about how this patient kept calling her.. and how she wanted to "slug him" and she repreated this a few times.. and used the F word a coupel times in it.. I was just standing there thining.. omg this girl is soooooo unprofessional.. why is she working here? I'd fire her ass.. anyhoooow..

So then she turns to me and says.. "Thats YOUR patient." First thing she said to me all day. I said okey I can do that assessment but we dont give out meds on Saturday, we give them on Sunday. o thats the extent of the conversation then.


Little later she tells me.. that she checks ot see if her meds are all here.. and f-ing pharmacy.. and etc.. that was the extent of teaching she did that whole day.

we went to meet her patients.. on the way to the first room, she said.. I hate people following me.. if we were in a bar right now.. and you were followong me like this I'd turn around and slug you.


We proceeded later to meet my guy she told me I was supposed to do the assessment on.. (the bad thing tho was that I am supposed to pick a patient with cancer and this person didnt have it) Anyhow i was bullied into it..

So I asked Lori, are we going to the next room... she grabbed me by the shoulders and said.. YOU are going to assess your patient.. I am going to the next room and she stomped off. I was like.. whatever this chick is a major fucking nutjob.

She came back later and said she was sorry she snapped at me .. but she just didnt like people following up right behind me.. she had grabbed me by the shoulders agina and got real close .. as she was saying she didnt like people up her butt.... I moved in closer.. I wasnt about to let her intimidate me... I siad.. I understood she didnt want anyone following her.. that it was annoying to her.. and I fiugred.. that was it..I'm staying as far away from the bitch as possible.. which I did ...as much as I could

She handed me the charting for the patient.. she never asked if we were doing the charting.. whatever.. she didnt help me with it.. whatever.. she did come over after I had assessed the patient and was filling out the documentation.. "I dont ever want to see you looking back and forth on the charting again" I was looking to see how they had charted the day before to see if what I was doing was right.."I said.. I need ot see how they charted this" she just kind of laughed and walked away.. I was pissed. She wasnt going to show me.. but then she thought she had the right to criticze..


She told me I had to do all her accuchecks for her patients.. I had absolutely no problem doing them.. it was fine..


But she came in .. while I was staying away from her.. LOL... and she said.. You need your instructor her to do anything? I said yes.. I do .. she said okey better get him up here.. you need to do a dressing change, flush a Dobhoff.. and put ointment on this guy, (my patient) .. I was like. .okey

Now, you have to see.. that everyone else, all my classmates..had nurses that were helping them, chart, give meds, explain things, teach them.. and here i had this girl who didn't want to show me anything.. so I was pretty pissed.. I said y'know.. this is a waste of an entire day .. its ridiculous.

So when my instructor got up there.. I told him everything nad he was like.. you dont need to take that.. we will just finish taking care of your patient..and thats it.

So we went in.. the dobhoff wouldnt flush.. the bitch cam ein while me and a classmate and my instructor were in there.. he said to Lori... "Are you the nurse of this patietn?" She said yes.. he said.. "You know his Dobhoff is obstructed?" She said yes.. He said.. "well areyou going to change it?" She said.. "No, I'm not.. SHE is." POinting to me. (pissedme off again)... then my instructor said.. "NO, she isnt." not in a snotty way, but dismissive, like.. dont fuck with me, she isnt doing it. "So then she left the room.. I bout laughed. but I was still spazzing abou t changing a central line dressing.

Anyhow.. I didn' t do all of her accuchecks.. jsut the one on my patient.



Later I told everyone exactly what happened the whole day with this nurse and htey were like.. what the heck? YOu shoudl have gotten another nurse.... I said.w ell I was just thinking to myself that once I graduate.. i woudl have to deal with people like that... and my instructor said... well .. yes and no.. you will be on the same ground once you graduate.. whic is true.. she was probablya bitch because i was a student.. not anohter nurse..

The next day i was talkng to some other nurses.. and one was saying how when she was younger.. the nurses werent helping her.. she said in fact, "They eat their own, " or young.. can't remember.. but there were two other nurses who were nodding their heads furiously..


Great.. what I have to look forward too.. LOL

Oh well.. its just like working with a lot of women anywhere.. some feel to gossip, some feel like they have to bully others, etc..

I plan on workign with my friend Lisa in ICU when I graduate.. but we'll see.

I'm pretty easy to get along with.. and I will take shit for a while.. but just watch out when it builds up .. because then I wont take crap.

So I guess we'll see what happens next.. good things is.. no one will ever get that nurse.. and after I graduate.. and if I end up working with her again... her foul mouth better be closed.. no one should be speaking that way in a loud enough voice so that everyone hears her mouth.

I say Fuck and shit and whatever.. but NEVER at work... (lunch, breaks, they dont count/ and its never in front of clients or co workers.... well outside of the people who are sitting with me) And they said she was shaking a lot.. so I dont know what that implies.

Anyhoow... yeah .. that was my last weekend.. the next day I got a really good nurse..


On Monday, Scott's bestfriends Dad died. Scott took it really hard, his own father passed away about 13 years ago ... and he still hasnt completely gotten over it.. and now his friends dad died.. its really sad..he had a heart attack at work and died.. :(

So the funeral is this Saturday.. i will be leaving clinical early to go to the services.. I knew him.. he was a good guy .. I feel bad for his family.. they were friends of mine as well.


But now.. its back to work... Brain Cancer is next on the studylist..


Have a wonderful day all!

2 Comments:

Blogger JustSue said...

OMG that nurse sounds like the b!tch from hell...I don't know how you managed to hold your tongue and not complain earlier.

Sorry to hear about your friend passing.

www.derbygirl.blogdrive.com

9:04 AM  
Blogger aibee said...

You handled rudeguts smarmy nurse really well Sid. Go you!

It's good to see you back posting, though I'm real sorry about your friend. My condolences to all involved.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home